The static keyword in java is used for memory management mainly. We can apply java static keyword with variables, methods, blocks and nested class. The static keyword belongs to the class than instance of the class.
The static can be:
- variable (also known as class variable)
- method (also known as class method)
- nested class
1) Java static variable
If you declare any variable as static, it is known static variable.
- The static variable can be used to refer the common property of all objects (that is not unique for each object) e.g. company name of employees,college name of students etc.
- The static variable gets memory only once in class area at the time of class loading.
Advantage of static variable
It makes your program memory efficient (i.e it saves memory).
Understanding problem without static variable
Suppose there are 500 students in my college, now all instance data members will get memory each time when object is created.All student have its unique rollno and name so instance data member is good.Here, college refers to the common property of all objects.If we make it static,this field will get memory only once.
Java static property is shared to all objects.
Example of static variable
Program of counter without static variable
In this example, we have created an instance variable named count which is incremented in the constructor. Since instance variable gets the memory at the time of object creation, each object will have the copy of the instance variable, if it is incremented, it won't reflect to other objects. So each objects will have the value 1 in the count variable.
Program of counter by static variable
|As we have mentioned above, static variable will get the memory only once, if any object changes the value of the static variable, it will retain its value.|
2) Java static method
If you apply static keyword with any method, it is known as static method.
- A static method belongs to the class rather than object of a class.
- A static method can be invoked without the need for creating an instance of a class.
- static method can access static data member and can change the value of it.
Example of static method
Another example of static method that performs normal calculation
Restrictions for static method
|There are two main restrictions for the static method. They are:|
Q) why java main method is static?
|Ans) because object is not required to call static method if it were non-static method, jvm create object first then call main() method that will lead the problem of extra memory allocation.|
3) Java static block
- Is used to initialize the static data member.
- It is executed before main method at the time of classloading.
Example of static block
Q) Can we execute a program without main() method?
Ans) Yes, one of the way is static block but in previous version of JDK not in JDK 1.7.
In JDK7 and above, output will be: