- From Gateway of Tally, go to Features by pressing F11 and you will see a menu as in the picture below.
Company Features Menu in Tally
- Now, go to Statutory & Taxation and you will see a screen which is called Company Operations Alteration.
Company Operations Alteration Screen in Tally
Do you notice the name of the screen – Company Operations Alteration on the top left hand corner of the picture.
Sometimes small things matter the most and that name is indeed in a small size.
This is the level of detail and effort I put into to create each and every post and video on TallySchool.
I just want to make sure, you understand Tally in detail and in a better way.
- Now, you see two options.
- Enable Goods and Services Tax (GST)
- Set/alter GST details
- First, we will enable GST in Tally and then we will Set the GST Details.
- Well, enabling is pretty easy.
- Press Y in the option Enable Goods and Services Tax (GST) and press Enter.
- Congratulations! You have enabled Goods and Services Tax in Tally.
I know this was just a simple step but it is required in order to go ahead and set the GST details in Tally.
Enabling the GST in Tally will open up all the functions of GST in Tally. This includes GST functions in ledgers, reports, returns and so on.
You may think it is just a small step, but trust me it is a big step which affects the whole functioning of Tally.
Now, you will see GST option in almost every place in Tally which previously was not available.
Moving forward, let me show you how to set and alter GST details in Tally.
How to Set GST Details in Tally
You will need the following to set GST Details in Tally.
- a valid GSTIN – Goods and Services Tax Identification Number,
- Rate of GST – for example – 28% IGST divided into 14% CGST and 14% SGST and
- HSN Code – Harmonized System Nomenclature which is different according to the product or service you sell.
You will have all the details if you have registered for GST on the GST Portal.
If you do not have any of the above details, it is perfectly okay. You can simply go through this post to know the method to set GST details in Tally.
In fact, I will be using fake GSTIN and fake HSN for the explanation of this post.
So, hop on with me. Let’s start.
I am assuming you are already at the Company Operations Alteration screen where you enabled GST.
- Press Y against the Set/alter GST details option and press Enter.
- You will see the Company GST Details screen as shown in the picture below.
Set GST Details in Tally
- First option is State – Select your State or the state in which the business is located. Mine is Gujarat.
- Second option is Registration type – Regular
- GSTIN/UIN – Enter the GSTIN or UIN. It will be printed on the invoices later when you create ledgers related to GST in Tally.
- Applicable from – This is date from which GST is applicable to you. Most probably it will be 1st July, 2017.
- Set/alter GST rate details – This is where you will enter the rates of GST according to the product you sell.
- Press Y and press Enter to enter the rates and HSN details as in the picture below.
GST Tax Rate Details in Tally
Write the Description about the goods or services you sell on the basis of your HSN Number.
Enter the HSN Number.
In Tax Details, there are 3 options.
Most probably, you will have to select Taxable option because your goods or services will be taxable under the GST.
Next option is Integrated Tax under Tax Type. Tally calculates both the Central and State Taxes exactly half for each of them.So when you enter 28% Integrated Tax, it will be divided into 14% for CGST and 14% for SGST automatically.You can also enable Central and State Tax option if you want to see columns for both of them instead of one integrated tax column. Here is how you can do it.